3.07.2012

Ham Radio & EDC...Part 1


Ham Radio is now my biggest hobby, definitely spend the most money on it, but it's not my only one.  Let me preface a little. I am a person the has a particular mindset; it lightly paranoid, very prepared, willing and strong mindset. While yes, that all does sound like I'm really tooting my own horn and maybe I've got a "hero" complex or something, it's all true. I have no complex. I guess it's hard to be 100% definitive until those things are really tested but I'm can say that I am 100% willing. With all that said, I a person who believes in being prepared, but not in a weird way like "dooms-day-preppers" or anything.

EDC = Everyday Carry, all the stuff you have set aside to carry on a very consistent basis. I believe in being prepared like I said and I do have a very consistent and defined EDC. I actually would say I have 3 versions that sometimes I must alternate through. Just because of school obviously being gun free and I can't carry into work either. So here's how it breaks down:
  1. Full EDC - Lethal and Non-Lethal + food, backpack and pocket carry
  2. Work EDC - Non-Lethal + food, backpack and pocket carry; **Lethal in truck** 
  3. School EDC - Partial/Non-Lethal + food, backpack and pocket carry
That probably seems like a lot and it might sound to be difficult to control and deploy, but it's not. Over time my kit/s have evolved. I've added and weeded out plenty, gone through several bags and improved quality of the tools I carry.  Quality improvement meaning that I started with, lets say a, Maglite LED flashlight, but a while back I upgraded my primary torch to a higher-end 4Sevens Maelstrom X7; which is a beast of a light. Things like that, I didn't through out $1000 dollars at once to put together my EDC, over time I've built a nice kit.

I've also segregated gear easy to access micro kits inside the pack. Zippered bags, clam-shell kits and organizers. This way transferring stuff from bag to bag is easy and quick. The prime essentials; pens, weapons, navigation, hydration, knives, flashlights and things of that nature are always mounted in the bags, there's a set in each full time.

This a multi part series...

No comments:

Post a Comment