2.04.2012

My First HF Radio...***Updated Above***

So I'm on the hunt for my first HF rig. Next month I'll be passing my General license exam. Which in a nut shell will give me HF band privileges. The exact band plan for General class folks can be found online so I won't list it, plus I don't fully know them. But that's ok for now. To get back on topic, yes, I am looking for my first HF radio. I'm preferring to buy something late model. Very late model. I looking for something at least 100watts cause I do want to get my DX on, I'm looking a reliable brand, and I would like to have something I can upgrade at a later date with filters. Price is kind of a option; I'd really like to say under 800 to 900 dollars, or less of course.
I really really like Yaesu radios! My first, a HT, was a Yaesu and I just feel comfortable with the make. There is just something about the Yaesu's, they look the way a supreme rig should look, out of the box they have some extra nice features, and my Yaesu options work with an antenna rotater.
Yaesu FT-950

So what have I got you ask; well what I like are the Yaesu FT-950 also the FT-450(closer in budget) and the ICOM IC-718. Both, all 3, meet really what I want and are pretty close to budget. Now here's honestly what I want, I want the FT-950, really really bad, it's a beast of a beginner rig. Maybe even more than I need but let me tell you when I get into a hobby, I get INTO the hobby. So very soon I'll be able to use every bit of that radio. But unfortunately it's to much money, average retail for the 950 is $1400, the ICOM is at $700 USD I think. I do have the Yaesu FT-450 I could buy, but buying that to me feels like I'm buying a mini radio and I just can't break the from my mind. So anyways I'm still deciding, I will be buying it this month, hopefully before the NC QSO Party. I'll let you all know.






No comments:

Post a Comment